Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Diagnosis system (AV control unit)
MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH AND PRESET SWITCH SELF-DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION
The ON/OFF operation (continuity) of each switch in the multifunction switch and preset switch can be checked.
- Press the BACK switch and the switch of the 8-direction switches within 10 seconds after turning the ignition switch from OFF to ACC and hold them for 3 seconds or more. Then the buzzer sounds, all indicators of the preset switch illuminate, and the self-diagnosis mode starts.
- The continuity of each switch at the ON position can be checked by pressing the switch. The buzzer sounds if the switch is normal.
NOTE: The disk eject switch cannot be checked.
Finishing Self-diagnosis Mode
Self-diagnosis mode is canceled when the ignition switch is turned OFF.
MULTI AV SYSTEM ON BOARD DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION
- The AV control unit diagnosis function starts up with multifunction switch operation and the AV control unit performs a diagnosis for each unit in the system during the on board diagnosis.
- Perform a CONSULT diagnosis if the on board diagnosis does not start, e.g., if the screen does not display anything, the multifunction switch does not function, etc.
ON BOARD DIAGNOSIS
- The trouble diagnosis function has a self-diagnosis mode for conducting trouble diagnosis automatically and a confirmation/adjustment mode for operating manually.
- Self-diagnosis mode performs the AV control unit diagnosis and the connection diagnosis between each of the units that make up the system, and it indicates the results to the display.
- The confirmation/adjustment mode allows the technician to check, modify or adjust the vehicle signals and set values, as well as to monitor the system error records and system communication status. The checking, modifying or adjusting generally requires human intervention and judgment (the system cannot make judgment automatically).
On Board Diagnosis Item
|Confirmation/ Adjustme||Display Diagnosis||The confirmation of the tint with the color spectrum bar display and shading of color with the gradation bar display can be performe|
|Vehicle Signals||Diagnosis of signals can be performed for vehicle speed, parking brake, lights, ignition switch, an|
|Speaker Test||The connection of a speaker can be confirmed by test tone.
Error History (Detailed) System malfunctions and the frequency when occurring
|Error History (Detailed||System malfunctions and the frequency when occurring in the past are displayed. When the malfunctioning item is selected, the time and place that the selected malfunction last occurred are displaye|
|Camera Cont.||The signal connected to camera control unit can be checked and the guiding line position that overlaps rear view camera image can be adjusted.|
|Vehicle CAN Diagnosis||The transmitting/receiving of CAN communication can be monitored.|
|AV COMM Diagnosis||The communication condition of each unit of MULTI AV system can be monitored|
|Delete Unit Connection Log||Erase the connection history of unit and error history|
|Initialize Settings||Initializes the AV control unit memor|
- Start the engine.
- Turn the audio system OFF.
- While pressing the SETTING button, turn the volume control dial clockwise or counterclockwise for 40 clicks or more. (When the self-diagnosis mode is started, a short beep will be heard.)
- Shifting from current screen to previous screen is performed by pressing the BACK button
- The trouble diagnosis initial screen is displayed, and then the items of "Self Diagnosis" and "Confirmation/Adjustment" can be selected.
- Start the self-diagnosis function and select "Self-diagnosis".
NOTE: Because the start condition of diagnosis function is a switch operation, the on board diagnosis function cannot start up if any malfunction is detected in the AV communication circuit between AV control unit and multifunction switch.
- Self-diagnosis subdivision screen is displayed, and the selfdiagnosis mode starts.
- The bar graph visible on the center of the self-diagnosis subdivision screen indicates progress of the trouble diagnosis.
- Diagnosis results are displayed after the self-diagnosis is completed.
The unit names and the connection lines are color-coded according to the diagnostic results.
Diagnosis results Unit Connection line
Normal Green Green
Connection malfunction Gray Yellow
Unit malfunction Note Red Green
- Only the control unit (AV control unit) is displayed in red.
- - Replace AV control unit if "Self-Diagnosis did not run because of a control unit malfunction" is indicated. The symptom is AV control unit internal error.
- If multiple errors occur at the same time for a single unit, the screen switch colors are determined according to the following order of priority: red > gray.
- The comments of the self-diagnosis results can be viewed with a component in the diagnosis result screen.
Check the applicable display at the following table, and then repair the malfunctioning parts.
NOTE: Because the start condition of diagnosis function is a switch operation, the on board diagnosis function cannot be started up if any malfunction is detected in the AV communication circuit between AV control unit and multifunction switch.
Self-diagnosis Result Chart
NOTE: The number of units that are displayed on the on board self-diagnosis display according to equipment.
- Start the diagnosis function and select "Confirmation/Adjustment". The confirmation/adjustment mode indicates where each item can be checked or adjusted.
- Select each switch on the "Confirmation/Adjustment Mode" screen to display the relevant trouble diagnosis screen. Press the RETURN switch to return to the initial Confirmation/Adjustment Mode screen.
The tint of the color bar indication is as per the following list if RGB image signal error is detected.
R (red) signal error : Light blue (Cyan) tint
G (green) signal error : Purple (Magenta) tint
B (blue) signal error : Yellow tint
A comparison check can be made of each actual vehicle signal and the signals recognized by the system.
Select "SPEAKER DIAGNOSIS" to display the Speaker Diagnosis screen. Press "START and NEXT" to generate a test tone in a speaker. Press "Start" to generate a test tone in the next speaker.
Press "End" to stop the test tones. NOTE: The frequency of test tone emitted from each speaker is as follows
Tweeter : 3 kHz
Front speaker : 300 Hz
Rear speaker : 1 kHz
On-board self-diagnosis is not supported. Only CONSULT is suppor
The self-diagnosis results are judged depending on whether any error occurs from when "Self-diagnosis" is selected until the self-diagnosis results are displayed.
However, the diagnosis results are judged normal if an error has occurred before the ignition switch is turned ON and then no error has occurred until the self-diagnosis start. Check the "Error Record" to detect any error that may have occurred before the self-diagnosis start because of this situation.
Count up method A
- The counter resets to 0 if an error occurs when IGN switch is turned ON. The counter increases by 1 if the condition is normal at the next IGN ON cycle.
- The counter upper limit is 39. Any counts exceeding 39 are ignored. The counter can be reset (no error record display) with the "Delete log" switch or CONSULT.
Count up method B
- The counter increases by 1 if an error occurs when IGN switch is ON. The counter will not decrease even if the condition is normal at the next IGN ON cycle.
- The counter upper limit is 50. Any counts exceeding 50 are ignored. The counter can be reset (no error record display) with the "Delete log" switch or CONSULT.
Some error items may be displayed simultaneously according to the cause. If some error items are displayed simultaneously, the detection of the cause can be performed by the combination of display items.
The two functions of "Connection Confirmation" and "Adjust Offset of Rear View Camera" are available.
The vehicle speed sensor, parking brake, park lights, ignition switch and reverse sensor can be inspected.
ADJUST OFFSET OF REAR VIEW CAMERA
Use this mode to adjust the guide line display position of the rearview monitor if necessary after removing the rear view monitor camera
Vehicle CAN Diagnosis
- CAN communication status and error counter is displayed.
- The error counter displays "OK" if any malfunction was not detected in the past and displays "0" if a malfunction is detected. It increases by 1 if the status is normal at the next ignition switch ON cycle. The upper limit of the counter is 39.
- The error counter is erased if reset.
AV COMM Diagnosis
- Displays the communication status between AV control unit (master unit) and each unit.
- The error counter displays "OK" if any malfunction was not detected in the past and displays "0" if a malfunction is detected. It increases by 1 if the condition is normal at the next ignition switch ON cycle. The upper limit of the counter is 39.
- If it resets, the error counter is erased.
Delete Unit Connection Log
Deletes any unit connection records and error records from the AV control unit memory. (Clear the records of the unit that has been removed.)
"Erase All Customer Data" and "Reset Factory Configuration" are possible.
- Never perform Reset Factory Configuration except when configuration is unsuccessful.
- Factory Configuration Initialize requires configuration. For details, refer to AV-193, "Diagnosis Description"
CONSULT Function (MULTI AV)
CONSULT performs the following functions via the communication with the AV control unit.
When "AV communication" of "CAN Diag Support Monitor" is selected, the following function will be performed.
The part number of AV control unit is displayed.
SELF DIAGNOSIS RESULT
- In CONSULT self-diagnosis, self-diagnosis results and error history are displayed collectively.
- The current malfunction indicates "CRNT". The past malfunction indicates "PAST".
- The timing is displayed as "0" if any of the error codes [U1000], [U1010], [U1300] and [U1310] is detected.
The counter increases by 1 if the condition is normal at the next ignition switch ON cycle.
Self-diagnosis Results Display Item
- Displays the status of the following vehicle signals inputted into the AV control unit.
- For each signal, actual signal can be compared with the condition recognized on the system.
SELECTION FROM MENU
Allows the technician to select which vehicle signals should be displayed and displays the status of the selected vehicle signals
Configuration has three functions as follows.