Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Parking brake
- Be sure the parking brake is fully released before driving. Failure to do so can cause brake failure and lead to an accident.
- Do not release the parking brake from outside the vehicle.
- Do not use the shift lever in place of the parking brake. When parking, be sure the parking brake is fully engaged.
- To help avoid risk of injury or death through unintended operation of the vehicle and /or its systems, do not leave children, people who require the assistance of others or pets unattended in your vehicle. Additionally, the temperature inside a closed vehicle on a warm day can quickly become high enough to cause a significant risk of injury or death to people and pets.
To engage: Firmly depress the parking brake.
1. Firmly apply the foot brake.
2. Move the shift lever to the P (Park) position.
3. Firmly depress the parking brake pedal and it will release.
4. Before driving, be sure the brake warning light goes out.