Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Driving on snow or ice
- Wet ice (32F, 0C and freezing rain), very cold snow or ice can be slick and very hard to drive on. The vehicle will have much less traction or "grip" under these conditions. Try to avoid driving on wet ice until the road is salted or sanded.
- Whatever the condition, drive with caution.
Accelerate and slow down with care. If accelerating or downshifting too fast, the drive wheels will lose even more traction.
- Allow more stopping distance under these conditions. Braking should be started sooner than on dry pavement.
- Allow greater following distances on slippery roads.
- Watch for slippery spots (glare ice).
These may appear on an otherwise clear road in shaded areas. If a patch of ice is seen ahead, brake before reaching it. Try not to brake while on the ice, and avoid any sudden steering maneuvers.
- Do not use the cruise control on slippery roads.
- Snow can trap dangerous exhaust gases under your vehicle. Keep snow clear of the exhaust pipe and from around your vehicle.