Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Precaution
Precaution for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER"
The Supplemental Restraint System such as "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER", used along with a front seat belt, helps to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the driver and front passenger for certain types of collision. This system includes seat belt switch inputs and dual stage front air bag modules. The SRS system uses the seat belt switches to determine the front air bag deployment, and may only deploy one front air bag, depending on the severity of a collision and whether the front occupants are belted or unbelted.
Information necessary to service the system safely is included in the SR and SB section of this Service Manual.
- To avoid rendering the SRS inoperative, which could increase the risk of personal injury or death in the event of a collision which would result in air bag inflation, all maintenance must be performed by an authorized NISSAN/INFINITI dealer.
- Improper maintenance, including incorrect removal and installation of the SRS, can lead to personal injury caused by unintentional activation of the system. For removal of Spiral Cable and Air Bag Module, see the SR section.
- Do not use electrical test equipment on any circuit related to the SRS unless instructed to in this Service Manual. SRS wiring harnesses can be identified by yellow and/or orange harnesses or harness connectors.
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING POWER TOOLS (AIR OR ELECTRIC) AND HAMMERS
- When working near the Airbag Diagnosis Sensor Unit or other Airbag System sensors with the Ignition ON or engine running, DO NOT use air or electric power tools or strike near the sensor(s) with a hammer. Heavy vibration could activate the sensor(s) and deploy the air bag(s), possibly causing serious injury.
- When using air or electric power tools or hammers, always switch the Ignition OFF, disconnect the battery, and wait at least 3 minutes before performing any service.
Precaution for Drain Coolant
- Drain coolant when engine is cooled.
Precaution for Disconnecting Fuel Piping
- Before starting work, make sure no fire or spark producing items are in the work area.
- Release fuel pressure before disassembly.
- After disconnecting pipes, plug openings to stop fuel leakage.
Precaution for Removal and Disassembly
When instructed to use special service tools, use the specified tools. Always be careful to work safely, avoid forceful or uninstructed operations.
- Exercise maximum care to avoid damage to mating or sliding surfaces.
- Cover openings of engine system with tape or the equivalent, if necessary, to seal out foreign materials.
- Mark and arrange disassembly parts in an organized way for easy troubleshooting and assembly.
- When loosening nuts and bolts, as a basic rule, start with the one furthest outside, then the one diagonally opposite, and so on. If the order of loosening is specified, do exactly as specified. Power tools may be used where noted in the step.
Precaution for Inspection, Repair and Replacement
- Before repairing or replacing, thoroughly inspect parts. Inspect new replacement parts in the same way, and replace if necessary.
Precaution for Assembly and Installation
- Use torque wrench to tighten bolts or nuts to specification.
- When tightening nuts and bolts, as a basic rule, equally tighten in several different steps starting with the ones in center, then ones on inside and outside diagonally in this order. If the order of tightening is specified, do exactly as specified.
- Replace with new gasket, packing, oil seal or O-ring.
- Thoroughly wash, clean, and air-blow each part. Carefully check oil or coolant passages for any restriction and blockage.
- Avoid damaging sliding or mating surfaces. Completely remove
foreign materials such as cloth lint or dust.
Before assembly, oil sliding surfaces well.
- Release air within route after draining coolant.
- Before starting engine, apply fuel pressure to fuel lines with
turning ignition switch ON (with engine stopped).
Then make sure that there are no leaks at fuel line connections.
- After repairing, start engine and increase engine speed to check coolant, fuel, oil, and exhaust systems for leakage.
Parts Requiring Angular Tightening
- Use an angle wrench for the final tightening of the following engine parts:
- Cylinder head bolts
- Main bearing cap bolts
- Connecting rod cap nuts
- Crankshaft pulley bolt (No angle wrench is required as the bolt flange is provided with notches for angular tightening)
- Do not use a torque value for final tightening.
- The torque value for these parts are for a preliminary step.
- Ensure thread and seat surfaces are clean and coated with engine oil.
Precaution for Liquid Gasket
REMOVAL OF LIQUID GASKET
- After removing the bolts and nuts, separate the mating surface and remove the liquid gasket using Tool (A).
Tool Number: KV10111100 (J-37228)
CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the mating surfaces.
- In areas where the cutter is difficult to use, use a plastic hammer to lightly tap (1) the cutter where the liquid gasket is applied. Use a plastic hammer to slide (2) the cutter by tapping on the side.
CAUTION: Do not damage the mating surfaces.
LIQUID GASKET APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- Remove the old liquid gasket adhering to the gasket application surface and the mating surface using suitable tool.
- Remove the liquid gasket completely from the groove of the liquid gasket application surface, bolts, and bolt holes.
- Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and remove adhering moisture, grease and foreign material.
- Attach the liquid gasket tube to the Tool.
Tool number : WS39930000 ( - )
- Apply the liquid gasket without breaks to the specified location with the specified dimensions.
- If there is a groove for the liquid gasket application, apply the liquid gasket to the groove.
- Normally apply the liquid gasket on the inside edge of the bolt holes. Also apply to the outside edge of the bolt holes when specified in the procedure.
- Within five minutes of liquid gasket application, install the mating component.
- If the liquid gasket protrudes, wipe it off immediately.
- Do not retighten after the installation.
- Wait 30 minutes or more after installation before refilling the engine with oil or coolant.
CAUTION: If there are more specific instructions in the procedures contained in this manual concerning liquid gasket application, observe them.