Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Vehicle security system
Your vehicle has two types of security systems:
- Vehicle security system
- NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System
The vehicle security system provides visual and audible alarm signals if someone opens the doors, trunk, or hood when the system is armed. It is not, however, a motion detection type system that activates when a vehicle is moved or when a vibration occurs.
The system helps deter vehicle theft but cannot prevent it, nor can it prevent the theft of interior or exterior vehicle components in all situations. Al-ways secure your vehicle even if parking for a brief period. Never leave your Intelligent Key in the vehicle, and always lock the vehicle when unattended. Be aware of your surroundings, and park in secure, well-lit areas whenever possible.
Many devices offering additional protection, such as component locks, identification markers, and tracking systems, are available at auto supply stores and specialty shops. A NISSAN dealer may also offer such equipment. Check with your insurance company to see if you may be eligible for discounts for various theft protection features.
How to arm the vehicle security system
1. Close all windows. (The system can be armed even if the windows are open.) 2. Remove the Intelligent Key from the vehicle.
3. Close all doors, hood and trunk. Lock all doors. The doors can be locked with the Intelligent Key, door handle request switch, or mechanical key.
4. Confirm that the security indicator light stays on for about 30 seconds. The vehicle security system is now pre-armed.
The vehicle security system will automatically shift into the armed phase. The security light begins to flash once every three seconds. If during the pre-armed phase one of the following occurs, the system will not arm:
- Any door is unlocked with the mechanical key, the Intelligent Key or door request switch.
- Ignition switch is placed in ACC or ON position.
- Even when the driver and/or passengers are in the vehicle, the system will activate with all the doors, hood and trunk lid locked with the ignition switch placed in the LOCK position. When placing the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, the system will be released.
Vehicle security system activation
The vehicle security system will give the following alarm:
- The headlights blink and the horn sounds intermittently but synchronously.
- The alarm automatically turns off after a period of time. However, the alarm reactivates if the vehicle is tampered with again.
The alarm is activated by:
- opening any door or hood without using the key or Intelligent Key (even if the door is unlocked by releasing the door inside lock knob).
How to stop an activated alarm
The alarm stops only by unlocking a door or the trunk with the mechanical key, pushing the button on the Intelligent Key, or pushing the request switch on the driver's or passenger's door with the Intelligent Key in range of the door handle.