Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Precaution
Precaution for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) "AIR BAG" and
The Supplemental Restraint System such as "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT
PRE-TENSIONER", used along
with a front seat belt, helps to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the driver and front passenger for certain
types of collision. This system includes seat belt switch inputs and dual stage front air bag modules. The SRS
system uses the seat belt switches to determine the front air bag deployment, and may only deploy one front
air bag, depending on the severity of a collision and whether the front occupants are belted or unbelted.
Information necessary to service the system safely is included in the SR and SB section of this Service Manual.
- To avoid rendering the SRS inoperative, which could increase
the risk of personal injury or death in
the event of a collision which would result in air bag inflation, all maintenance must be performed by
an authorized NISSAN/INFINITI dealer.
- Improper maintenance, including incorrect removal and
installation of the SRS, can lead to personal
injury caused by unintentional activation of the system. For removal of Spiral Cable and Air Bag
Module, see the SR section.
- Do not use electrical test equipment on any circuit related to
the SRS unless instructed to in this
Service Manual. SRS wiring harnesses can be identified by yellow and/or orange harnesses or harness
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING POWER TOOLS (AIR OR ELECTRIC) AND HAMMERS
- When working near the Airbag Diagnosis Sensor Unit or other
Airbag System sensors with the Ignition
ON or engine running, DO NOT use air or electric power tools or strike near the sensor(s) with a
hammer. Heavy vibration could activate the sensor(s) and deploy the air bag(s), possibly causing
- When using air or electric power tools or hammers, always
switch the Ignition OFF, disconnect the
battery and wait at least 3 minutes before performing any service.
Precaution for SRS "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER" Service
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both
battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes.
For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pretensioner
to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have
- The air bag diagnosis sensor unit must always be installed with the
arrow mark "⇐" pointing toward the front
of the vehicle for proper operation. Also check air bag diagnosis sensor unit for cracks, deformities or rust
before installation and replace as required.
- The spiral cable must be aligned with the neutral position since its
rotations are limited. Do not attempt to
turn steering wheel or column after removal of steering gear.
- Handle air bag module carefully. Always place driver and front
passenger air bag modules with the pad side
facing upward and seat mounted front side air bag module standing with the stud bolt side facing down.
- Conduct self-diagnosis to check entire SRS for proper function after replacing any components.
- After air bag inflates, the front instrument panel assembly should be replaced if damaged.
Occupant Classification System Precaution
Replace occupant classification system control unit and passenger front seat cushion as an assembly.