Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: NISSAN Intelligent Key
1. Intelligent Keys (two sets)
2. Mechanical keys
3. Key number plate (one plate)
Your vehicle can only be driven with the Intelligent Keys which are registered to your vehicle's Intelligent Key System components.
Never leave these keys in the vehicle.
As many as four Intelligent Keys can be registered and used with one vehicle. The new keys must be registered by a NISSAN dealer prior to use with the Intelligent Key System of your vehicle.
Since the registration process requires erasing all memory in the Intelligent Key components when registering new keys, be sure to take all Intelligent Keys that you have to the NISSAN dealer.
A key number plate is supplied with your keys.
Record the key number and keep it in a safe place (such as your wallet), not in the vehicle. If you lose your keys, it is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for duplicates by using the key number. NISSAN does not record key numbers so it is very important to keep track of your key number plate.
A key number is only necessary when you have lost all keys and do not have one to duplicate from. If you still have a key, it can be duplicated without knowing the key number.
Listed below are conditions or occurrences which will damage the Intelligent Key:
- Do not allow the Intelligent Key, which contains electrical components, to come into contact with water or salt water. This could affect the system function.
- Do not drop the Intelligent Key.
- Do not strike the Intelligent Key sharply against another object.
- Do not change or modify the Intelligent Key.
- Wetting may damage the Intelligent Key. If the Intelligent Key gets wet, immediately wipe until it is completely dry.
- Do not place the Intelligent Key for an extended period in an area where temperatures exceed 60C (140F).
- Do not attach the Intelligent Key with a key holder that contains a magnet.
- Do not place the Intelligent Key near equipment that produces a magnetic field, such as a TV, audio equipment and personal computers.
If an Intelligent Key is lost or stolen, NISSAN recommends erasing the ID code of that Intelligent Key from the vehicle. This may prevent the unauthorized use of the Intelligent Key to operate the vehicle. For information regarding the erasing procedure, it is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer.