Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Rear sunroof glass
Removal and Installation
- Apply protective tape around all of the glass panels to be removed.
- Remove the satellite radio antenna. Refer to AV-174, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Monochrome Display), AV-495, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Color Display W/O Navi), or AV-665, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Color Display W/Navi).
- Remove the rear window glass. Refer toGW-14, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove the glass lid. Refer to RF-150, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove the roof side finishers. Refer to RF-162, "Removal and Installation".
- Cut adhesive.
- Pass piano wire through the adhesive with a wire pierce.
- Tie piano wire on both ends at assist in wire grip.
- Pull piano wire with a sawing motion to cut through the adhesive.
- Remove the rear sunroof glass.
- Keep heat and open flames away as primers and adhesive are flammable.
- The materials contained in the kit are harmful if swallowed, and may irritate skin and eyes. Never let them contact the skin or eyes.
- Use in an open, well ventilated location. Never breathe the
vapors. They may be harmful if inhaled.
Move immediately to an area with fresh air if affected by vapor inhalation.
- Use a genuine Nissan Urethane Adhesive Kit (if available) or an equivalent and follow the instructions furnished with it.
- Inform the customer that the vehicle should remain stationary until the urethane adhesive has completely cured (approximately 24 hours). Curing time varies with temperature and humidity.
- Using a knife or spatula, trim the adhesive (sealant) remaining on body down to approximately 2 mm thick (a) so that the contour becomes smooth.
CAUTION: If bonded area on body is scratched, be sure to repair it with a 2-component urethane. Do not use lacquer.
- When installing new rear sunroof glass, position the rear sunroof glass (no adhesive) first onto the vehicle and paint mating marks on the body and the rear sunroof glass, then remove it again.
- Thoroughly clean bonding area on the rear glass panel and the body with isopropyl alcohol or equivalent.
- Apply primer to the sunroof frame anywhere the surface has been scratched and the rear sunroof glass (lower) surfaces.
- Apply adhesive along the entire circumference of the rear sunroof glass frame contact area of the body within the time specified in the instructions for the adhesive. Also apply adhesive around the satellite antenna hole outward from the hole along the sunroof frame to cover the existing adhesive.
- Open adhesive by cutting off the nozzle tip and set it in a sealant gun.
- Form a continuous bead of adhesive resembling the measurements in applied thickness (A), and in applied width (B) on the sunroof frame.
Adhesive applied thickness (A) : 13 +- 1 mm (0.51 +- 0.039 in)
Adhesive applied width (B) : 8 +- 1 mm (0.31 +- 0.039 in)
- Position the rear sunroof glass, align the paint marks and lower it into position.
- Press down lightly by hand to evenly expand the adhesive contact with the rear sunroof glass. Press down by hand to expand the adhesive contact completely so that it resembles a compressed thickness (A), and a compressed width (
Adhesive compressed thickness (A) : 5 +2, -1mm (0.20 +0.079 - 0.039
Adhesive compressed width (B) : Front edge 15 mm (0.59 in)
: Side edge 21 mm (0.83 in)
: Rear edge 15 mm (0.59 in)
- Install the rear window glass. Refer to GW-14, "Removal and Installation".
- Install the roof side finishers. Refer to RF-162, "Removal and Installation".
- Install the glass lid. Refer to RF-150, "Removal and Installation". NOTE: After installation, carry out fitting adjustment. Refer to RF-155, "Inspection and Adjustment".
- Install the satellite radio antenna. Refer to AV-174, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Monochrome Display), AV-495, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Color Display W/O Navi), or AV-665, "Removal and Installation" (Bose W/Color Display W/Navi).
- Check for water leaks.
- Perform the water leakage check more than 2 hours after sunroof unit assembly installation.
- After glass lid fitting adjustment, carry out water leakage check by spreading water over entire roof surface.
- Remove the protective tape from the vehicle.