Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Engine oil
- Checking engine oil level
- Changing engine oil
- Changing engine oil filter
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the parking brake. 2. Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches operating temperature. 3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. 4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert it all the way. 5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the H (High) and L (Low) marks B . This is the normal operating oil level range. If the oil level is below the L (Low) mark A , remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended oil through the opening. Do not overfill C . 6. Recheck oil level with the dipstick.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the parking brake. 2. Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches operating temperature, then turn it off. 3. Remove the oil filler cap A by turning it counterclockwise. 4. Remove clips B from the under-engine protector. 5. Place a large drain pan under the drain plug C . 6. Remove the drain plug C with a wrench by turning it counterclockwise and completely drain the oil. If the engine oil filter is to be changed, remove and replace it at this time. For additional information, refer to "Changing engine oil filter" in this section. Waste oil must be disposed of properly. Check your local regulations.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the parking brake. 2. Turn the engine off. 3. Place a large drain pan under the oil filter B . 4. Remove clips A from the right engine protector located inside the right wheel well and then remove protector. Remove oil filter B with an oil filter wrench by turning it counterclockwise. Then remove the oil filter by turning it by hand. CAUTION Be careful not to burn yourself. The engine oil may be hot. 5. Wipe the engine oil filter sealing surface with a clean rag. CAUTION Be sure to remove any old gasket material remaining on the sealing surface of the engine. Failure to do so could lead to an oil leak and engine damage.