Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Fuel tank
- Fuel filler cap
- Fuel filler tube
- Fuel tank
- Fuel filler hose
- Fuel tank protector
- Fuel tank mounting straps
- Fuel level sensor, fuel filter and fuel pump assembly
- Lock ring
Removal and Installation
WARNING: Read "General Precautions" before working on the fuel system. Refer to GI-27, "General Precautions".
NOTE: When removing components such as hoses, tubes/lines, etc., cap or plug openings to prevent fluid from spilling.
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Refer to PG-67, "Removal and Installation (Battery)".
- . Open the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
- Release fuel pressure from fuel line. Refer to EC-592, "Inspection".
- Check the fuel level with the vehicle on a level surface. If the fuel gauge indicates more than the level as shown (7/8 full), drain the fuel from the fuel tank until the fuel gauge indicates a level at or below as shown (7/8 full).
- In case the fuel pump does not operate, use the following procedure.
- Insert fuel tubing of less than 25mm (0.98in) diameter into the fuel filler tube through the fuel filler opening to drain fuel from the fuel filler tube.
- Disconnect the fuel filler hose from the fuel filler tube.
- Insert fuel tubing into the fuel tank through the fuel filler hose to drain fuel from the fuel tank.
- As a guide, the fuel level reaches or is less than the level on the fuel gauge as shown, when approximately 10 (2 5/8 US gal, 2 1/4 Imp gal) of fuel is drained from a full fuel tank.
- Remove the rear seat cushion. Refer to SE-70, "Removal and Installation" (with fixed seatback, WITH CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS), SE-73, "Removal and Installation" (with split seatback, WITH CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS), SE-128, "Removal and Installation" (with fixed seatback, W/O CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS) SE-131, "Removal and Installation" (with split seatback, W/O CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS).
- Turn the four retainers 90 degrees in a clockwise direction and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
- Disconnect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly harness connector, EVAP hose quick connector, and fuel feed hose quick connector
- Disconnect the quick connectors as follows:
- Hold the sides of the connector, push in tabs and pull out the tube.
- If the connector and the tube are stuck together, push and pull several times until they start to move. Then disconnect them by pulling.
- The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist it more than necessary.
- Do not use any tools to remove the quick connector.
- Keep the resin tube away from heat. Be especially careful when welding near the tube.
- Prevent acid liquid such as battery electrolyte, from getting on the resin tube.
- Do not bend or twist the tube during installation and removal.
- Only when the tube is replaced, remove the remaining retainer on the tube or fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.
- When the tube or fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly is replaced, also replace the retainer with a new one (green colored retainer).
- To keep the connecting portion clean and to avoid damage and foreign materials, cover them completely with plastic bags or something similar.
- Remove the center exhaust tube, with muffler. Refer to EX-5, "Removal and Installation".
- Disconnect the fuel filler hose and recirculation hose at the fuel tank side.
- Disconnect the three parking brake cable mounting brackets on each cable and position the cables out of the way. Refer to PB-6, "Exploded View".
- Remove rear stabilizer bar clamps, then allow stabilizer bar to hang. Refer to RSU-13, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove EVAP canister bolts. Then without disconnecting hoses, position EVAP canister aside. Refer to FL-14, "Removal and Installation (EVAP Canister)".
- Remove the fuel tank protector.
- Remove the fuel tank mounting strap bolts and mounting straps while supporting the fuel tank with a suitable jack.
- Remove the fuel tank.
- If replacing the fuel tank, remove the fuel level sensor unit, fuel filter and fuel pump assembly to transfer to the new fuel tank. Remove and discard the O-ring.
CAUTION: Do not reuse O-ring.
Install in the reverse order of removal paying attention to the following.
CAUTION: Do not reuse O-ring.
- Before tightening the fuel tank mounting straps, temporarily
install the filler hose and the recirculation hose.
Tighten all fuel tank mounting strap bolts to specification, then tighten the hose clamps.
- Connect the quick connector as follows:
- Check the connection for damage or any foreign materials.
- Align the connector with the tube, then insert the connector straight into the tube until a click is heard.
- After the tube is connected, make sure the connection is secure by performing the following checks:
- Pull on the tube and the connector to make sure they are securely connected.
- Visually confirm that the two retainer tabs are connected to the quick connector.
INSPECTION AFTER INSTALLATION
Use the following procedure to check for fuel leaks.
- . Turn the ignition switch ON (without starting the engine). Then check the connections for fuel leaks by applying fuel pressure to the fuel piping.
- Run the engine and check for fuel leaks at the fuel system tube and hose connections.