Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Headlight control switch
- Rotate the switch to the position, and the front parking, tail, license plate, and instrument panel lights will come on.
- Rotate the switch to the position, and the headlights will come on and all the other lights remain on.
Use the headlights with the engine running to avoid discharging the vehicle battery.
The autolight system allows the headlights to be set so they turn on and off automatically. The autolight system can:
- Turn on the headlights, front parking, tail, license plate and instrument panel lights automatically when it is dark.
- Turn off all the lights when it is light.
- Keep all the lights on for a period of time after you turn the key to OFF and all doors are closed.
Autolight activation sensitivity and the time delay for autolight shutoff can be adjusted.
For additional information, refer to "Vehicle information display" in this section.
To turn on the autolight system:
1. Turn the headlight switch to the AUTO position 1 .
2. Turn the ignition key to ON.
3. The autolight system automatically turns the headlights on and off.
Initially, if the ignition switch is turned off and a door is opened and left open, the headlights remain on for a period of time. If another door is opened while the headlights are on, then the timer is reset.
To turn the autolight system off, turn the switch to the OFF , , or position.
Be sure you do not put anything on top of the autolight sensor located in the top side of the instrument panel. The autolight sensor controls the autolight; if it is covered, the autolight sensor reacts as if it is dark out and the headlights will illuminate. If this occurs while parked with the engine off and the key in the ON position, your vehicle's battery could become discharged.
Headlight beam select
- To select the high beam function, push the lever forward. The high beam lights come on and the light illuminates.
- Pull the lever back to select the low beam.
- Pulling and releasing the lever flashes the headlight high beams on and off.
Battery saver system
If the ignition switch is placed in the OFF position while the headlight switch is in the or position, the headlights will turn off after a period of time.
Even though the battery saver feature automatically turns off the headlights after a period of time, you should turn the headlight switch to the OFF position when the engine is not running to avoid discharging the vehicle battery.