Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Steering column
Disassembly and Assembly
The steering column assembly without electric motor is not serviceable and must be replaced as an assembly.
With Electric Motor
- Steering column assembly
- Telescope motor
- Telescope motor link bracket
- Tilt motor
- Tilt motor bolt cap
- Remove the steering wheel. Refer to ST-17, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove the tilt motor as follows.
- Disconnect the harness connector (A) from the tilt motor.
- Remove the tilt motor link bolts (B).
- Remove the tilt motor bolt (A) from the RH side of column.
- Remove the tilt motor (B).
NOTE: If the steering wheel could not be tilted to the highest position, manually tilt steering wheel to the highest position.
- Remove telescope motor as follows.
- Disconnect the harness connector (A) from the telescope motor.
- Remove the two telescope motor link screws (B) and telescope motor link bracket.
- Remove telescope motor bolt (C).
- Remove the telescope motor (D).
NOTE: If the steering wheel could not be telescoped to full out position manually pull steering wheel to the full out position
Assembly is in the reverse order of removal
- Upon installation of the tilt motor link bolts manually move steering wheel up and down to align the bolts.
- Adjust the telescope motor link to full out position and adjust as needed to fit into proper installed position.
- Inform customer that they will need to reset their Automatic Drive Positioner (ADP) settings.