Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Steering gear and linkage
- Outer socket
- Boot clamp
- Inner socket
- Boot clamp
- SSPS valve (part of gear assembly)
- Gear assembly
Three Bond 1111B or equivalent
- Remove outer socket locknut and outer socket.
- Remove boot clamps and boot. CAUTION: Do not reuse boot clamps.
- Remove inner socket.
INSPECTION AFTER DISASSEMBLY
Check boot for cracks. Replace if any damage is found.
Outer Socket and Inner Socket
- Ball joint swinging torque
- Hook a spring balance to the ball stud and inner socket measuring point (*) and pull the spring balance. Make sure that the spring balance reads the specified value when ball stud and inner socket start to move. Replace outer socket and steering gear assembly if they are outside the standard.
Tool number : - (J-44372)
- Ball joint rotating torque
- Make sure that the reading is within the following specified range using Tool. Replace outer socket if the reading is outside the specified value.
Tool number : ST3127S000 (J-25765-A)
- Ball joint axial end play
- Apply an axial load of 490 N (50 kg, 111 lb) to ball stud. Measure amount of stud movement using a dial gauge and then make sure that the value is within the following specified range. Replace outer socket and inner socket if the measured value is outside the standard.
- Apply Three Bond 1111B or equivalent to inner socket and turn pinion fully to retract inner socket into gear housing assembly.
- Install large end (1) of boot (2) to gear housing assembly.
- Install small end (3) of boot (2) to inner socket boot mounting groove.
- Install boot clamp to boot small end. CAUTION: Do not reuse boot clamps.
- Install boot clamp to boot large end using Tool. CAUTION: Do not reuse boot clamps.
Tool number : KV40107300 ( - )
- Adjust inner socket to standard length (L), and then tighten lock nut to the specified torque. Check length of inner socket (L) again after tightening lock nut. Make sure that the length is the standard.
CAUTION: Adjust toe-in after this procedure. The length achieved after toe-in adjustment is not necessarily the above value.
POWER STEERING OIL PUMP
Disassembly and Assembly
The power steering oil pump and pulley is not serviceable and should be replaced as an assembly. For front and rear bracket removal