Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Parking/parking on hills
- Do not stop or park the vehicle over flammable materials such as dry grass, waste paper or rags. They may ignite and cause a fire.
- Safe parking procedures require that both the parking brake be set and the transmission placed into P (Park). Failure to do so could cause the vehicle to move unexpectedly or roll away and result in an accident. Make sure the shift lever has been pushed as far forward as it can go and cannot be moved without depressing the foot brake pedal.
- Never leave the engine running while the vehicle is unattended.
- To help avoid risk of injury or death through unintended operation of the vehicle and/or its systems, do not leave children, people who require the assistance of others or pets unattended in your vehicle. Additionally, the temperature inside a closed vehicle on a warm day can quickly become high enough to cause a significant risk of injury or death to people and pets.
1. Firmly apply the parking brake.
2. Move the shift lever to the P (Park) position.
3. To help prevent the vehicle from rolling into traffic when parked on an incline, it is a good practice to turn the wheels as illustrated.
HEADED DOWNHILL WITH CURB: A
Turn the wheels into the curb and move the vehicle forward until the curb side wheel gently touches the curb.
HEADED UPHILL WITH CURB: B
Turn the wheels away from the curb and move the vehicle back until the curb side wheel gently touches the curb.
HEADED UPHILL OR DOWNHILL, NO CURB : C
Turn the wheels toward the side of the road so the vehicle will move away from the center of the road if it moves.
4. Place the ignition switch to the LOCK position.