Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Air cleaner
The air cleaner filter should not be cleaned and reused. Replace it according to the maintenance log shown in the "Maintenance and schedules" section of this manual. When replacing the filter, wipe the inside of the air cleaner filter housing and the cover with a damp cloth.
To remove the air cleaner filter:
- Unlatch the clips A and move the air cleaner cover upward.
- Remove the air cleaner filter.
- Wipe the inside of the air cleaner filter housing and cover with a damp cloth.
- Operating the engine with the air cleaner removed can cause you or others to be burned. The air cleaner not only cleans the air, it stops the flame if the engine backfires. If it isn't there, and the engine backfires, you could be burned. Do not drive with the air cleaner removed, and be careful when working on the engine with the air cleaner removed.
- Never pour fuel into the throttle body or attempt to start the engine with the air cleaner removed. Doing so could result in serious injury.
The in-cabin microfilter restricts the entry of airborne dust and pollen particles and reduces some objectionable outside odors. The filter is located behind the glove box. For additional information, refer to the "Maintenance and schedules" section of this manual for change intervals.
If replacement is required, it is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for this service.