Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Intake Manifold
Removal and Installation
- Intake manifold
- Intake manifold gaskets
- Refer to INSTALLATION
WARNING: To avoid the danger of being scalded, do not drain the coolant when the engine is hot.
- Release the fuel pressure. Refer to EC-592, "Inspection".
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Refer to PG-67, "Removal and Installation (Battery)".
- Remove intake manifold collector. Refer to EM-25, "Removal and Installation".
- Disconnect fuel tube quick connector at vehicle piping side.
- To remove the quick connector cap (1), hold the sides of the connector (A), push in the tabs (2) and pull out the fuel tube (3).
- The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist fuel tube.
- Do not use any tools to remove the quick connector.
- Keep the resin tube away from heat. Be especially careful when welding near the tube.
- Prevent acid liquids such as battery electrolyte, etc. from getting on the resin tube.
- Do not bend or twist the tube during removal or installation.
- Do not remove the remaining retainer on the tube.
- When the tube is replaced, also replace the retainer with a new one.
- To keep the connecting portion clean and to avoid damage and foreign materials entering, cover the ends of the fuel tubes with plastic bags or something similar.
NOTE: If the connector and the tube are stuck together, push and pull several times until they start to move. Then disconnect them by pulling.
- Remove the fuel rail with the fuel injectors attached, from the intake manifold. Remove the fuel injector O-rings and use new O-rings for installation.
CAUTION: Do not reuse O-rings.
- Loosen the bolts in the order as shown, and remove the intake manifold with power tool.
INSPECTION AFTER REMOVAL
- Using straightedge and feeler gauge, inspect the surface distortion of the intake manifold.
Standard : 0.1 mm (0.004 in)
CAUTION: Do not reuse intake manifold gaskets.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal. Follow the procedure below for specific tightening sequences and procedures.
- Install intake manifold bolts in two steps in the numerical order as shown.
Step 1 : 7.4 N*m (0.75 kg-m, 65 in-lb)
Step 2 : 25.5 N*m (2.6 kg-m, 19 ft-lb)
NOTE: After installation, it is necessary to re-calibrate the electric throttle control actuator as follows:
- Perform the "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" when harness connector of the electric throttle control actuator is disconnected. Refer to EC-21, "THROTTLE VALVE CLOSED POSITION LEARNING : Special Repair Requirement".
- Perform the "Idle Air Volume Learning" when the electric throttle control actuator is replaced. Refer to EC- 21, "IDLE AIR VOLUME LEARNING : Special Repair Requirement".
- Install the quick connector as follows:
- Make sure no foreign substances are deposited in and around the fuel tube and quick connector and that there is no damage.
- Align the center to insert the quick connector straight onto the fuel tube.
- Insert the fuel tube until a click is heard.
- Install the quick connector cap on the quick connector joint. Align the arrow mark on the quick connector cap to the upper side.
- Install the fuel hose into the hose clamp.
INSPECTION AFTER INSTALLATION
Make sure there are no fuel leaks at connections as follows:
- Apply fuel pressure to fuel lines by turning ignition switch ON with engine stopped. Then check for fuel leaks at connections.
- Start the engine and rev it up and check for fuel leaks at connections.
CAUTION: Do not touch engine immediately after stopping as engine is extremely hot.
NOTE: Use mirrors for checking on connections out of the direct line of sight.