Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Additional service when replacing transaxle assembly
When replacing the transaxle assembly, perform the following work.
ERASING, LOADING AND STORING OF CALIBRATION DATA
- The TCM acquires calibration data (individual characteristic value) of each solenoid that is stored in the ROM assembly (in the control valve). This enables the TCM to perform accurate control. For this reason, after the transaxle assembly/control valve is replaced, it is necessary to erase the calibration data previously stored in TCM, to load new calibration data, and to stored them.
ERASING OF CVT FLUID DEGRADATION LEVEL DATA
- TCM records the degradation level of the CVT fluid calculated from the vehicle driving status. Therefore, if the transaxle assembly/control valve is replaced, it is necessary to erase the CVT fluid degradation level data recorded by TCM.
Immediately after TCM is replaced or after transaxle assembly is replaced (after TCM initialization is complete), self-diagnosis result of "P1701", "P1709" may be displayed. In this case, erase self-diagnosis result using CONSULT. After erasing self-diagnosis result, perform DTC P1701 reproduction procedure and check that malfunction is not detected. Refer to TM-95, "DTC Logic" (P1701), TM-99, "DTC Logic" (P1709).
1.PREPARATION BEFORE WORK
- Start the engine.
CAUTION: Never drive the vehicle.
- Select "Data Monitor" in "TRANSMISSION".
- Select "ATFTEMP COUNT".
2.PERFORM TCM INITIALIZATION
- Turn ignition switch OFF.
- Turn ignition switch ON.
CAUTION: Never start the engine.
- Select "Self Diagnostic Results" in "TRANSMISSION".
- Shift selector lever to "R" position.
- Depress slightly the accelerator pedal (Pedal angle: 2.0/8) while depressing the brake pedal.
- Select "Erase" with step 5.
- Release brake pedal and accelerator pedal.
- Select "Special Function" in "TRANSMISSION".
- Select "CALIB DATA".
- Check that "CALIB DATA" value is as shown as in the following tab
3.LOAD CALIBRATION DATA
- Shift selector lever to "P" position.
- Check that "P" is displayed on shift position indicator on
NOTE: It indicates approximately 1 - 2 seconds after shifting the selector lever to "P" position.
4.DETECT MALFUNCTIONING ITEM
Check the following items:
- Harness between the TCM and the ROM assembly inside the transaxle assembly is open or shorted.
- Disconnected, loose, bent, collapsed, or otherwise abnormal connector housing terminals
- Power supply and ground of TCM. (Refer to TM-95, "Diagnosis Procedure".)
5.STORE CALIBRATION DATA
- Turn ignition switch OFF and wait for 5 seconds.
- Turn ignition switch ON.
6.ERASE CVT FLUID DEGRADATION LEVEL DATA
- Select "WORK SUPPORT" in "TRANSMISSION".
- Select "CONFORM CVTF DETERIORTN".
- Touch "Clear".