Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Lock-up and select control system
- The torque converter clutch piston in the torque converter is engaged to eliminate torque converter slip to increase power transmission efficiency.
- The torque converter clutch control valve operation is controlled by the torque converter clutch solenoid valve, which is controlled by a signal from TCM. The torque converter clutch control valve engages or releases the torque converter clutch piston.
- When shifting between "N" ("P") ⇒ "D" ("R"), torque converter clutch solenoid valve controls engagement power of forward clutch and reverse brake.
- The lock-up applied gear range was expanded by locking up the torque converter at a lower vehicle speed than conventional CVT models.
TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH AND SELECT CONTROL VALVE CONTROL
In the lock-up released state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the unlocked state by the torque converter clutch solenoid valve and the lock-up apply pressure is drained.
In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is not coupled.
In the lock-up applied state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the locked state by the torque converter clutch solenoid valve and lock-up apply pressure is generated.
In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is pressed and coupled.
When shifting between "N" ("P") ⇒ "D" ("R"), optimize the operating pressure on the basis of the throttle position, the engine speed, and the secondary pulley (output) revolution speed to lessen the shift shock.
Component Parts Location
- CVT shift selector assembly (Manual mode select switch and manual mode position select switch)
- Secondary speed sensor
- CVT unit harness connector
- Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor
- Shift positioner indicator Manual mode indicator DS mode indicator
- Paddle shifters
EXCEPT TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY