Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Stall test
Inspection and Judgment
Inspect the amount of engine oil. Replenish the engine oil if necessary.
Drive for about 10 minutes to warm up the vehicle so that the CVT fluid temperature is 50 to 80C (122 to 176F). Inspect the amount of CVT fluid. Replenish if necessary.
3. Securely engage parking brake so that the tires do not turn.
4. Install a tachometer where it can be seen by driver during test.
NOTE: It is good practice to mark the point of specified engine rpm on indicator.
5. Start engine, apply foot brake, and move selector lever to "D" position.
6. Gradually press down accelerator pedal while holding down the foot brake.
7. Quickly read off the stall speed, and then quickly remove your foot from accelerator pedal.
CAUTION: Never hold down accelerator pedal for more than 5 seconds during this test.
8. Move selector lever to "N" position.
9. Cool down the CVT fluid.
CAUTION: Run the engine at idle for at least 1 minute.
10. Repeat steps 6 through 9 with selector lever in "R" position.
O: Stall speed within standard value position.
H: Stall speed is higher than standard value.
L: Stall speed is lower than standard value.