Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Transverse link
Removal and Installation
- Remove front wheel and tire using power tool. Refer to WT-60, "Adjustment".
- Remove the knuckle spindle bolt and nut at the transverse link.
- Remove the steering knuckle from the transverse link using Tool. Refer to FSU-13, "Exploded View".
Tool number : HT7252000 (J-25730-B)
- Remove the stabilizer connecting rod nut at the front stabilizer.
- Slightly loosen the transverse link bolts.
- Remove the transverse link bolts and nuts. Remove the transverse link from the front suspension member.
INSPECTION AFTER REMOVAL
Check transverse link and bushing for deformation, cracks, and other damage. Replace the entire transverse link assembly if cracks, deformation or any other damage is found.
Ball Joint Inspection
CAUTION: Before measurement, move the ball joint at least ten times by hand to check for smooth movement.
Swing Torque Inspection
- Hook Tool at cutout on ball stud. Confirm Tool measurement value is within specifications when ball stud begins moving.
Tool number : - (J-44372)
Swing torque : Refer to FSU-18, "Ball Joint".
Measurement on spring balance : Refer to FSU-18, "Ball Joint"
- If the value is outside the standard, replace transverse link.
Axial End Play Inspection
- Move tip of ball joint in axial direction to check for looseness.
Axial end play : Refer to FSU-18, "Ball Joint".
- If any looseness is noted, replace transverse link.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
CAUTION: Do not reuse the transverse link nuts at the front suspension member.
- Tighten transverse link bolts with vehicle unladen and all four tires on flat, level ground. Refer to FSU-13, "Exploded View".
- After installation, check wheel alignment. Refer to FSU-6, "Inspection and Adjustment".