Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: Starting the vehicle
1. After starting the engine, fully depress the foot brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the P (Park) position.
2. Keep the foot brake pedal depressed and move the shift lever into a driving gear.
3. Release the parking brake and the foot brake pedal, then gradually start the vehicle in motion.
4. Stop the vehicle completely before shifting the shift lever to the P (Park) position.
The CVT is designed so the foot brake pedal MUST be depressed before shifting from P (Park) to any drive position while the ignition switch is in the ON position.
The shift lever cannot be moved out of P (Park) and into any of the other gear positions if the ignition switch is pushed to the LOCK position.
- Do not depress the accelerator pedal
while shifting from P (Park) or N (Neutral)
to R (Reverse), D (Drive), or M
(Manual shift mode). Always depress
the brake pedal until shifting is completed.
Failure to do so could cause you to lose control and have an accident. It can also damage the vehicle.
- Cold engine idle speed is high, so use caution when shifting into a forward or reverse gear before the engine has warmed up.
- Do not downshift abruptly on slippery roads. This may cause a loss of control.
- Never shift to either the P (Park) or R
(Reverse) position while the vehicle is
moving forward and P (Park) or D
(Drive) position while the vehicle is reversing.
This could cause an accident or damage the transmission.
- Except in an emergency, do not shift to
the N (Neutral) position while driving.
Coasting with the transmission in the N (Neutral) position may cause serious damage to the transmission.
- To avoid possible damage to your vehicle, when stopping the vehicle on an uphill grade, do no hold the vehicle by depressing the accelerator pedal. The foot brake should be used for this purpose.
To move the shift lever:
Press the button while depressing the brake pedal
Press the button to shift
Shift without pressing button