Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Unit removal and installation
Rear suspension assembly
- Rear shock absorber cap
- Strut mount insulator
- Shock absorber mount seal
- Rear suspension bound bumper
- Rear shock absorber
- Rear suspension arm
- Connecting rod mount bracket
- Rear stabilizer connecting rod
- Rear spring upper rubber seat
- Rear suspension spring
- Rear spring lower rubber seat
- Rear axle housing
- Upper ball joint cotter pin
- Rear lower link
- Arm bushing stopper
- Front lower link
- Radius rod
- Rear suspension member stay (Front LH)
- Rear suspension member stay (Front RH)
- Rear stabilizer clamp
- Rear stabilizer bushing
- Rear stabilizer
- Rear suspension mount insulator
- Rear suspension member
- Rear suspension member stay (Rear LH)
- Ball seat
Removal and Installation
CAUTION: Before removing the rear suspension member, remove each rear wheel sensor from each rear axle housing. Failure to do so may result in damage to the sensor wires and the sensor becoming inoperative.
- Remove the center exhaust tube with muffler(s). Refer to EX-5, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove each brake caliper using power tools and reposition each brake caliper aside with wire. Refer to BR-36, "Removal and Installation of Brake Caliper and Rotor".
- Leave each brake hydraulic hose connected to each brake caliper.
- Do not depress the brake pedal, or the caliper pistons will pop out.
- Do not pull or twist the brake hydraulic hoses.
- Remove each brake rotor.
- Disconnect each parking brake cable from each rear axle housing. Refer to PB-6, "Exploded View".
- Remove each rear wheel sensor. Refer to BRC-103, "Removal and Installation - Rear Wheel Sensor".
- Remove each lower shock absorber nut and bolt using power tools.
- Remove each rear lower link. Refer to RSU-8, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove each upper ball joint nut and cotter pin. Refer to RSU-15, "Exploded View".
- Remove each radius rod. Refer to RSU-12, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove each front lower link. Refer to RSU-11, "Removal and Installation".
- Remove each rear axle housing using Tool
Tool number : HT72520000 (J-25730-B)
- Do not damage ball joint when removing.
- While using Tool, temporarily tighten the nut so as not to damage screw threads.
- Remove the rear stabilizer. Refer to RSU-13, "Removal and Installation".
- Disconnect the member harness.
- Support rear suspension member using a suitable jack.
- Remove the rear suspension member nuts and the rear suspension member stay bolts using power tools.
- Lower the jack to remove the rear suspension member.
- If necessary, remove each rear suspension arm. Refer to RSU-14, "Removal and Installation".
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
- Do not reuse the front lower link nuts.
- Do not reuse the radius rod nuts at the rear axle housing.
- Do not reuse the upper ball joint cotter pin.
- Do not reuse the rear lower link nuts at the rear suspension member.
- Check wheel alignment. Adjust as necessary. Refer to RSU-6, "Inspection and Adjustment".
- Install member stays in correct position.
NOTE: Member stays are directional.