Nissan Maxima Owners Manual: BSW system limitations
Listed below are the system limitations for the BSW system. Failure to operate the vehicle in accordance with these system limitations could result in serious injury or death.
The BSW system cannot detect all vehicles under all conditions.
The radar sensors may not be able to detect and activate BSW when certain objects are present such as:
- Pedestrian, bicycles, animals.
- Vehicles such as motorcycles, low height vehicles, or high ground clearance vehicles.
- Oncoming vehicles.
- Vehicles remaining in the detection zone when you accelerate from a stop.
- A vehicle merging into an adjacent lane at a speed approximately the same as your vehicle.
- A vehicle approaching rapidly from behind.
- A vehicle which your vehicle overtakes rapidly.
- A vehicle that passes through the detection zone quickly.
- When overtaking several vehicles in a row, the vehicles after the first vehicle may not be detected if they are traveling close together.
The radar sensors' detection zone is designed based on a standard lane width. When driving in a wider lane, the radar sensors may not detect vehicles in an adjacent lane. When driving in a narrow lane, the radar sensors may detect vehicles driving two lanes away.
The radar sensors are designed to ignore most stationary objects, however objects such as guardrails, walls, foliage and parked vehicles may occasionally be detected. This is a normal operation condition.
The following conditions may reduce the ability of the radar to detect other vehicles:
- Severe weather
- Road spray
- Ice/frost/snow build-up on the vehicle
- Dirt build-up on the vehicle
Do not attach stickers (including transparent material), install accessories or apply additional paint near the radar sensors. These conditions may reduce the ability of the radar to detect other vehicles.
Excessive noise (for example, audio system volume, open vehicle window) will interfere with the chime sound, and it may not be heard.