Nissan Maxima Service and Repair Manual: Front passenger air bag module
Removal and Installation
- Before servicing, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery terminals and wait at least 3 minutes.
- Do not use air tools or electric tools for servicing.
- Always work from the side of air bag module. Do not work from the front of it.
- Always place air bag module with pad side facing upward.
- Do not cause impact to the air bag module by dropping etc. Replace the air bag module if it has been dropped or sustained an impact.
- Disconnect the negative and positive battery terminals, then wait at least 3 minutes. Refer to PG-67, "Removal and Installation (Battery)".
- Remove the glove box assembly. Refer to IP-20, "Removal and Installation".
- Disconnect the harness connector (A) from the front passenger air bag module. NOTE: The figure shows installed condition of the front passenger air bag module without glove box in place.
- Remove front passenger air bag module bolt (B) from steering member (1).
- Remove the remaining instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to IP-19, "Removal and Installation".
Front passenger air bag module bolt (B) : 22.3 N*m (2.3 kg-m, 16 inlb)
- Remove the front passenger air bag module screws (A).
- Release the upper and lower front passenger air bag module tabs (A) from instrument panel and pad assembly (1).
- Rotate and lift the front passenger air bag module away from the instrument panel, then remove.
- Do not use old bolts after removal; replace with new bolts.
- Be careful not to damage the harness while installing.
- After the work is completed, make sure no system malfunction is detected by air bag warning lamp.
- - In case a malfunction is detected by the air bag warning lamp, reset with the self-diagnosis function and delete the memory by CONSULT.
- If a malfunction is still detected after the above operation,
perform self-diagnosis to repair malfunctions.
Refer to SRC-12, "SRS Operation Check".
- Install front passenger air bag module to the instrument panel assembly.
- Install the instrument panel assembly. Refer to IP-19, "Removal and Installation".
- Connect the front passenger air bag module harness connector to yellow 4-pin service replacement connector and fasten to mounting bracket.